Ionizing Radiation and Polymers
Principles, Technology, and Applications
- Jiri George Drobny, Drobny Polymer Associates, Inc.
Drobny introduces readers to the science of ionizing radiation and its effects on polymers, and explores the technologies available and their current and emerging applications.
The resulting book is a valuable guide for a wide range of plastics engineers employing ionizing radiation for polymer treatment in a range of sectors including packaging, aerospace, defense, medical devices and energy applications. Radiation resistant polymers are also explored.
AudienceEngineers working in the plastics processing and packaging industries. Plastics and rubber processing industry and downstream industry sectors using plastics, in particular food packaging, consumer goods, defense, medical devices. Consumer products companies like P&G, Pepsico, etc. and their suppliers / vendors, e.g. DuPont, BASE, Bemis, Amcor, Henkel, etc.
- Published: November 2012
- Imprint: WILLIAM ANDREW
- ISBN: 978-1-4557-7881-2
Table of Contents
- Structure of Polymers
- Radiation Types and Sources
- Ionizing Radiation
- Gamma Rays
- Electron Beam Radiation
- Ion Beam Radiation
- Fundamentals of Radiation Chemistry
- Effects of radiation on organic materials
- Parameters and Units Used in Ionizing Radiation
- Interaction of Ionizing Radiation with Polymers
- Radiation Induced Reactions
- Surface Modification
- Radiation Resistance of Polymers
- Energy Scavenging
- Radical Scavenging
- Industrial Applications of Ionizing Radiation-Overview
- Ion Implantation
- Surface modification including compatibilization
- Methods of Joining Plastics (Laser, IR etc )
- Toughening of Plastics by Radiation.
- Safety and Hygiene
- New Developments and Trends