Hydrogeology of an Arid Region: The Arabian Gulf and Adjoining AreasEdited By
- A.S. Alsharhan, Faculty of Science, United Arab Emirates University, Al-Ain, UAE
- Z.A. Rizk, Department of Geology, Menoufia University, Egypt
- A.E.M. Nairn, Earth Sciences & Resources Institute, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
- D.W. Bakhit, Department of Civil Aviation, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- S.A. Alhajari, Department of Geology, University of Qatar, Doha, Qatar
Hardbound, 366 pages
Published: November 2001
...The very specific nature of the hydrogeological conditions on the Arabian Peninsula makes this book highly informative, but with somewhat limited application to other areas excluding the very arid regions of the World. The approaches and management policies set out in this book may be of great value in these regions.
It is an easily digestible and highly informative text on the specific situation regarding the geography, the geology, the hydrogeology and the cultural approaches to the hydrogeology in the Arabian Gulf area.
J.L. van Rooy, University of Pretoria, South Africa, Journal of African Earth Sciences
...This is a book which hides its light under a bushel. The title is ordinary, the cover is plain, but between the covers, a considerable gem is concealed. This is no symposium volume, with specialist papers devoted to the authors' own interests; this is a carefully planned and well documented coverage of the hydrogeology of the Arabian Peninsula. ...contains a wealth of detailed information which will be of great interest to the specialist. ...this book contains enough of general interest to make it intelligible to the non-specialist reader, and there is no doubt that it presents a most graphic illustration of the acute problems faced in providing an adequate water supply in one of the driest regions on earth.
D. Hallett, Richmond, UK, Earth Science Reviews