Handbook of Psychoeducational Assessment
A Practical HandbookA Volume in the EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY SeriesEdited by
- Donald Saklofske, University of Calgary, Canada
- Gary Phye, Iowa State University, Ames, U.S.A.
- Jac Andrews, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Henry Janzen, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
The Handbook of Psychoeducational Assessment is a practical guide for educational and psychological professionals using norm-referenced tests in the ability, achievement, and behavioral assessment of children. Written by key individuals involved in the construction and evolution of the most widely used tests, this book provides critical information on the nature and scope of commonly used tests, their reliability and validity, administration, scoring and interpretation, and on how the tests may differ and complement each other in their utility with specific populations.Part 1 of the Handbook of Psychoeducational Assessment focuses on ability assessment and the use of full battery intelligence tests as well as brief scales and short forms. Part 2 discusses achievement and the expanded role of psychologists in consultation with educators. Part 3 covers behavior assessment with special attention given to discussion of which tests are most suitable for assessing specific behavioral problems such as ADHD, anxiety, and depression. The final section recognizes the importance of context and person sensitive assessment practices, discussing cross-cultural assessment, neuropsychological assessment, and the usefulness of dynamic assessment for program planning and intervention delivery.@introbul:Key Features:@bul:* Covers the most commonly used and newest assessment instruments * Describes the nature, scope, reliability, and validity of each test* Discusses the administration, scoring, and interpretation of tests* Provides empirical findings on patterns of performance with tested populations* Includes case studies to highlight the utility of specific tests for specific populations* Illustrates new developments in instrumentation and unique features
Educational, cognitive, and clinical psychologists.
Hardbound, 512 Pages
Published: April 2001
Imprint: Academic Press
"The Handbook of Psychoeducational Assessment fills an important niche for those involved in the psychological or educational assessment of children... This volume will be enormously helpful for general readers through professionals. Highly recommended." --CHOICE (February 2002) "This book has much to offer, and the inclusion of so many outstanding and knowledgeable authors guarantees that any student of practitioner reading it will learn a great deal." --CONTEMPORARY PSYCHOLOGY
- Contributors.Preface.Invited Forward and Introduction, M. Zeidner.Part I: Ability Assessment.Assessing Children's Intelligence and Memory: The Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children-Third Edition and the Children's Memory Scale, D.K. Hildebrand and M.F. Ledbetter.The Das-Naglieri Cognitive Assessment System in Theory and Practice, J.P. Das and J.A. Naglieri.Assessment with the Differential Ability Scales, B. Gordon and C.D. Elliott.Brief Cognitive Assessment of Children: Review of Instruments and Recommendations for Best Practice, R.B. Kline.Assessment with the Woodcock-Johnson III, N. Mather and N. Gregg.Part II: Achievement Assessment.Wechsler Individual Achievement Test, D.R. Smith.Assessment for Reading and Writing Intervention: A Three-Tier Model for Prevention and Remediation, V.W. Berninger, S.A. Stage, D.R. Smith, and D. Hildebrand.Assessment for Math Talent and Disability: A Developmental Model, J. Busse, V.W. Berninger, D.R. Smith, and D. Hildebrand.Part III: Behavior Assessment.Behavior Assessment System for Children (BASC): Toward Accurate Diagnosis and Effective Treatment, G.S. Matazow and R.W. Kamphaus.The Achenbach System of Empirically Based Assessment, S.H. McConaughy.Assessment of Social Skills in Children and Adolescents, F.M. Gresham.Assessment with Brief Behavior Rating Scales, R.J. Volpe and G.J. DuPaul.Part IV: Recent Advances in Psychological and Educational Assessment.Cross-Cultural Cognitive and Neuropsychological Assessment, J.G. Harris, R. Echemendia, A. Ardila, and M. Rosselli.Neuropsychological Assessment of Children, K.O. Yeates and H.G. Taylor.Dynamic Assessment of Learning Potential, D. Tzuriel.Index.