Handbook of Equine ColicBy
- G. Edwards, BVSC, DvetMed, FRCVS, Professor of Equine Studies, Department of Veterinary Clinical Science & Animal Husbandry, University of Liverpool, UK
- N. A. White, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVS, Theodora Ayer Randolph Professor of Surgery, Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech, Leesbsurg, VA
Colic is one of the most common causes of illness in horses and is often felt to be an inevitable occurrence at some time in the horse's life. Onset can be quick, and it is essential that the cause of the illness be located as quickly as possible in order to control pain and avoid potential complications. The signs of colic are often similar for both simple and life-threatening diseases, and the clinical signs change during the course of the disease making assessment and prognostication difficult. This new book provides the essential, up-to-date information about colic that the practitioner and student need to examine, diagnose, treat and manage horses with colic.
Written by two respected and leading authorities in the equine field, Handbook of Equine Colic provides a succinct, easy-to-access and practical guide to the management and treatment of the horse with colic. There is also a chapter dealing with the prevention of colic, which is the aim of every horse owner and veterinarian.
· A practical guide to the diagnosis, management and treatment of this emergency condition
· Easily-accessible information selected from the latest research enables effective treatment regimes to be implemented with the minimum of delay
· A whole chapter is devoted to the discussion of good prognostication techniques and how to improve their accuracy.
· An essential purchase for every veterinarian who treats horses on either a regular or occasional basis, as well as for veterinary students, horse owners and other professionals involved with the day-to-day care of horses.
Paperback, 160 Pages
Published: November 1999
Imprint: Butterworth Heinemann
- Definition and causes of colic: Definition; Incidence and mortality; Risk factors for colic; Classificaiton of colic; Causes of colic; Examination of the horse: Introduction; History; Physical examination; Laboratory examinations; Ancillary examinations; Summary of possible causes of colic; The decision for surgery; Medical treatments: Analgesia; Hydration; Endotoxic shock; Modulation of intestinal motility; Feeding; Management of specific diseases: Ileus/spasmodic colic; Small intestine; Large intestine; Small colon; Peritonitis; Anterior enteritis; Colitis; Gastrointestinal ulcers; Prognosticating the equine acute abdomen: Introduction; Chances of immediate survival; Prognosis for short- and long term survival; Husbandry and prevention: Diet and management; Parasites; Colic risk factors; Index.