- Charles Fitts, University of Southern Maine, Gorham, U.S.A.
Groundwater Science, 2E, covers groundwaters role in the hydrologic cycle and in water supply, contamination, and construction issues. It is a valuable resource for students and instructors in the geosciences (with focuses in hydrology, hydrogeology, and environmental science), and as a reference work for professional researchers. This interdisciplinary text weaves important methods and applications from the disciplines of physics, chemistry, mathematics, geology, biology, and environmental science, introducing you to the mathematical modeling and contaminant flow of groundwater.
New to the Second Edition:
* New chapter on subsurface heat flow and geothermal systems
* Expanded content on well construction and design, surface water hydrology, groundwater/ surface water interaction, slug tests, pumping tests, and mounding analysis.
* Updated discussions of groundwater modeling, calibration, parameter estimation, and uncertainty
* Free software tools for slug test analysis, pumping test analysis, and aquifer modeling
* Lists of key terms and chapter contents at the start of each chapter
* Expanded end-of-chapter problems, including more conceptual questions
Primary: graduate and advanced undergraduate courses in groundwater science, hydrogeology and (as secondary academic market) civil engineering. Secondary: the professional market for this title is as a reference for geoscientists and researchers in academe and industry.
Hardbound, 692 Pages
Published: September 2012
Imprint: Academic Press
Praise for the first edition:
"Groundwater Science would serve well as the text for an introductory groundwater course...The references are up to date...concise, well-written, and well-illustrated..." -Sean A. McKenna for EOS TRANSACTIONS, July 2003
"The writing is clear and accurate without being wordy... The figures, references, and indexing are also well done. The references include both classics and recent papers, with broad coverage...It's not easy to do so many topics well, but Fitts' book succeeds." -Laura Toran for GROUND WATER, 2003
"The writing and presentation is clear and economical. The figures have a crisp and uncluttered look to them....a fine textbook." -Roger Beckie for VADOSE ZONE JOURNAL, 2003
1. Groundwater: The Big Picture
2. Physical Properties
3. Principles of Flow
4. Field Exploration and Wells
5. Hydrology and Geology
6. Deformation, Storage, and General Flow Equations
7. Modeling Steady Flow with Basic Methods
8. Modeling Transient Well Hydraulics and Mounding
9. Computer-Assisted Flow Modeling
10. Groundwater Chemistry
11. Groundwater Contamination
12. Subsurface Heat Flow and Geothermal Energy
Appendix A: Units and Conversions
Appendix B: Mathematics Primer
Appendix C: Book Website
Answers to Selected Problems