- Sina Ebnesajjad, Fluoroconsultants Group, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, U.S.A; formerly DuPont
- Richard Morgan
In this first book on an additive group of growing importance, the authors review the commercial additives available on the market. The applications chapters provide you with a step by step description of techniques to select and incorporate these additives in various products.
Engineers and scientits involved in polymer processing need practical information about these additives, their applications, and proper and safe handling. Until now much of this information has been difficult to obtain because of commercial secrecy.
In recent years, the applications of fluoropolymer additives have expanded significantly, with even the meaning of fluoropolymer additives expanding from relatively the narrow definition of PTFE powder fillers to a wide variety of fluoropolymer elastomers, used as a processing aid for plastics processing such as extrusion, injection molding, and film blowing. The benefits of fluoropolymer additives used in plastics are the elimination of sharkskin defects, increases in process speed and output (up to 20%), the reduction of die build up, the reduction of gels and optical defects, etc.
In addition, fluropolymer additives are being increasingly used in inks, lubricants, and coatings. For example, in the coating industry fluoropolymer additives can increase the life cycle of exterior coatings due to their excellent weatherability and subsequently increase the time between recoats.
Primary: Plastics Engineers and Product Design Engineers across a wide range of industrial
Hardbound, 310 Pages
Published: December 2011
Imprint: William Andrew
2. Description of Additives
PART I MANUFACTURING AND PROPERTIES3. Manufacturing and Properties of High Molecular Weight fluoropolymer Additives
4. Manufacturing and Properties of Low Molecular Weight fluoropolymer AdditivesPART II APPLICATIONS
5. Manufacturing and Properties of Fluoroelastomer-based Additives
6. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Lubrication7. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Plastics
8. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Inks9. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Coatings, Paints and Finishes
10. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Elastomers11. Applications of Processing Aid Additives (fluoroelastomers and FLPR) - Extrusion, Film Blowing, Blow Molding, Injection Molding, and Others
PART III COMPLIANCE AND ECONOMICS12. Compliance with Regulations and Standards
13. Safety, Health, Environmental, Disposal, and RecyclingAppendix I Chemical Resistance of PTFE
Appendix II FDA 21CFR1550