- Sina Ebnesajjad, Fluoroconsultants Group, Chadds Ford, PA, USA
- Richard Morgan
Engineers and scientits involved in polymer processing need practical information about these additives, their applications, and proper and safe handling. Until now much of this information has been difficult to obtain because of commercial secrecy.
In recent years, the applications of fluoropolymer additives have expanded significantly, with even the meaning of âfluoropolymer additivesâ expanding from relatively the narrow definition of PTFE powder fillers to a wide variety of fluoropolymer elastomers, used as a processing aid for plastics processing such as extrusion, injection molding, and film blowing. The benefits of fluoropolymer additives used in plastics are the elimination of sharkskin defects, increases in process speed and output (up to 20%), the reduction of die build up, the reduction of gels and optical defects, etc.
In addition, fluropolymer additives are being increasingly used in inks, lubricants, and coatings. For example, in the coating industry fluoropolymer additives can increase the life cycle of exterior coatings due to their excellent weatherability and subsequently increase the time between recoats.
AudiencePrimary: Plastics Engineers and Product Design Engineers across a wide range of industrial sectors: automotive, aerospace, electronic, pharmaceutical, consumer, furniture, printing/publishing, lubricants, oil&gas, medical devices; Plastics Compounders. Secondary: University researchers and graduate students, purchasing managers, fluoropolymer manufacturers, fluoropolymer additive manufacturers.
- Published: December 2011
- Imprint: WILLIAM ANDREW
- ISBN: 978-1-4377-3461-4
Table of Contents
2. Description of Additives
PART I MANUFACTURING AND PROPERTIES
3. Manufacturing and Properties of High Molecular Weight fluoropolymer Additives
4. Manufacturing and Properties of Low Molecular Weight fluoropolymer Additives
5. Manufacturing and Properties of Fluoroelastomer-based Additives
PART II APPLICATIONS
6. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Lubrication
7. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Plastics
8. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Inks
9. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Coatings, Paints and Finishes
10. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Elastomers
11. Applications of Processing Aid Additives (fluoroelastomers and FLPR) - Extrusion, Film Blowing, Blow Molding, Injection Molding, and Others
PART III COMPLIANCE AND ECONOMICS
12. Compliance with Regulations and Standards
13. Safety, Health, Environmental, Disposal, and Recycling
Appendix I Chemical Resistance of PTFE
Appendix II FDA 21CFR1550