Fast and Effective Embedded Systems Design
Applying the ARM mbed
- Rob Toulson
- Tim Wilmshurst
- A hands-on introduction to the field of embedded systems;
- A focus on fast prototyping of embedded systems;
- All key embedded system concepts covered through simple and effective experimentation;
- An understanding of ARM technology, one of the worldâs leaders;
- A practical introduction to embedded C;
- Applies possibly the most accessible set of tools available in the embedded world.
This book is an introduction to embedded systems design, using the ARM mbed and C programming language as development tools.
The mbed provides a compact, self-contained and low-cost hardware core, and the on-line compiler requires no download or installation, being accessible wherever an internet link exists. The book further combines these with a simple "breadboard" approach, whereby simple circuits are built up around the mbed, with no soldering or pcb assembly required.
The book adopts a "learning through doing" approach. Each chapter is based around a major topic in embedded systems. The chapter proceeds as a series of practical experiments; the reader sets up a simple hardware system, develops and downloads a simple program, and immediately observes and tests the outcomes. The book then reflects on the experimental results, evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of the technology or technique introduced, explores how precise the link is between theory and practice, and considers applications and the wider context.
Embedded systems engineers, undergraduates and graduates developing embedded applications