Encyclopedia of Human NutritionEdited by
- Lindsay H Allen
- Andrew Prentice
- Benjamin Caballero
The role of nutrition in improving quality of life and combating disease is undeniable - and researchers from different disciplines are bringing their perspectives to bear on this fundamental topic.
The 4-volume Encyclopedia of Human Nutrition, Third Edition, is a thorough revision of the previous award-winning version and reflects the scientific advances in the field of human nutrition. It presents the latest understanding on a wide range of nutrition-related topics including food safety, weight management, vitamins, bioengineering of foods, plant based diet and raw foods among others. New articles on organic food, biofortification, nutritional labeling and the effect of religious customs on diet, among many others, reflect the dedication to currency in this revision. It not only contains the most current and thorough information available on the topic, but also contains broader cross-referencing on emerging opportunities for potential treatment and prevention of diseases.
An ideal starting point for scientific research, Encyclopedia of Human Nutrition, Third Edition, continues to provide authoritative information in an accessible format, making this complex discipline available to readers at both the professional and non-professional level.
Nutritionists, clinical nutritionists, dietitians and allied health workers will all find this MRW useful. Libraries including university, medical school, public; food industry corporations; and government sectors dealing with nutritional policies will want this MRW in their library.
Hardbound, 2190 Pages
Published: January 2013
Imprint: Academic Press
Sample Table of Contents
For Complete Table of Contents, visit the microsite at www.elsevierdirect.com/HUN3
1. Adipose Tissue2. Adolescents | Nutritional Problems
3. Adolescent requirements for growth and optimal health4. Aging
5. Alcohol | Absorption, Metabolism and Physiological Effects7. Alcohol | Effects of Consumption on Diet and Nutritional Status
8. Aluminum9. Amino Acids | Chemistry and Classification
10. Amino Acids | Metabolism11. Amino Acids | Specific Functions
13. Antioxidants | Intervention Studies16. Appetite | Physiological and Neurobiological Aspects
17. Appetite | Psychobiological and Behavioral Aspects18. Arthritis
19. Ascorbic Acid | Physiology, Dietary Sources and Requirements20. Ascorbic Acid | Deficiency States
21. Asthma22. Behavior
23. Beverages24. Bioavailability
25. Biofortification26. Biotin
27. Body Composition29. Bone | Nutritional Aspects
30. Brain and Nervous System31. Breast Feeding
32. Burns Patients33. Caffeine
34. Calcium36. Cancer | Epidemiology and Associations Between Diet and Cancer
37. Cancer | Epidemiology of Gastrointestinal Cancers Other Than Colorectal Cancers38. Cancer | Epidemiology of Lung Cancer
39. Cancer | Dietary Management40. Cancer | Carcinogenic Substances in Food
41. Carbohydrates | Chemistry and Classification42. Carbohydrates | Regulation of Metabolism