Culture and Children's Intelligence
Cross-Cultural Analysis of the WISC-IIIEdited by
- James Georgas, The University of Athens, Greece
- Lawrence Weiss, Pearson Assessment, San Antonio, TX, USA
- Fons van de Vijver, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
- Donald Saklofske, University of Calgary, Canada
This book provides a unique cross-cultural perspective of the WISC-III. From construction, translation and adaptation in different cultures, to analysis of its structure and function as a concept, to its clinical use with different ethnic groups, Culture and Children's Intelligence provides clinician's the tools they need when using the WISC-III. The focus of this reference work is on children's intelligence as measured by the WISC-III in different cultures and its use in these cultures (USA, UK, Canada, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, and Greece). It also discusses the interpretation of the results of the WISC-III in terms of cultural and ethnic factors.
School psychologists, clinical psychologists, neuropsychologists, special education teachers and evaluators.
Hardbound, 336 Pages
Published: June 2003
Imprint: Academic Press
- Contributors.Foreword.Preface.Part I: Intelligence and the Wechsler Scales for Children.D.H. Saklofske, L.G. Weiss, A.L. Beal, and D. Coalson, The Wechsler Scales for Assessing Children's Intelligence: Past to Present.J. Georgas, Cross-Cultural Psychology, Intelligence and Cognitive Processes.PartII: Standardization Studies of the WISC-III in Different Cultures.L.G. Weiss, The WISC-III in the United States.D.H. Saklofske, Canada.P. McKeown, United Kingdom.J. Gregoire, France and French-Speaking Belgium.M. Schittekatte, W. Kort, W. Resing, G. Vermeir, P. Verhaeghe, The Netherlands and Flemish-Speaking Belgium.U. Tewes, Germany.P. Rossmann and U. Schallberger, Austria and Switzerland.K. Sonnander and B. Ramund, Sweden.G. Gintiliene and S. Girdzijauskiene, Lithuania.D. Boben and V. Bucik, Slovenia.J. Georgas, I.N. Paraskevopoulos, E. Besevegis, N. Giannitsas, and K. Mylonas, Greece.K. Ueno and I. Nakatani, Japan.K. Kwak, South Korea.H.Y. Chen, Y.H. Chen, and J. Zhu, Taiwan.Part III: Cross-Cultural Analysis of the WISC-IIIF.J.R. van de Vijver, Principles of Adaptation of Intelligence Tests to Other Cultures.F.J.R. van de Vijver, K. Mylonas, V. Pavlopoulos, and J. Georgas, Methodology of Combining the WISC-III Data Sets.J. Georgas, F.J.R. van de Vijver, L.G. Weiss, and D.H. Saklofske, A Cross-Cultural Analysis of the WISC-III.Appendix.Author Index.Subject Index.