Corrosion Control for Offshore Structures
Prevention, Standards and Testing
A variable game changer for those companies operating in hostile, corrosive marine environments, Corrosion Control for Offshore Structures provides critical corrosion control tips and techniques that will prolong structural life while saving millions in cost. In this book, Ramesh Singh explains the ABCs of prolonging structural life of platforms and pipelines while reducing cost and decreasing the risk of failure.
Corrosion Control for Offshore Structures places major emphasis on the popular use of what some engineers call the "Black Science" of cathodic protection (CP) combined with high efficiency coating to prevent subsea corrosion. This reference begins with the fundamental science of corrosion and structures and then moves on to cover more advanced topics such as Cathodic Protection, Coating as corrosion prevention Mill applied coatings and field applications and Advantages and limitations of some common coating systems. In addition, the author provides expert insight on a number of NACE and DNV standards and recommended practices as well as ISO and Standard and Test Methods. Packed with tables, charts and case studies, Corrosion Engineers, Pipeline Engineers, Pipeline Operators and Maintenance Supervisors will find Corrosion Control for Offshore Structures a valuable guide to offshore corrosion control both in terms of its theory and application.
Hardbound, 528 Pages
Published: March 2014
Imprint: Gulf Professional Publishing
Part One: Introduction
1. Corrosion Defined
2. Principles of corrosion
3. Forms of corrosion
4. Corrosion prevention (material, inhibition, coating, cathodic protections)
5. Corrosion monitoring techniques
Part Two: Inspection and Testing
6. TM 0104: Offshore Platform Ballast Water Coating System Evaluation.
7. TM 0204: Exterior Protective Coatings for Seawater Immersion service.
8. TM 0304 Offshore Platform Atmospheric and Splash Zone Maintenance Coating System Evaluation.
9. TM 0404 Offshore Platform Atmospheric and Splash Zone New Construction Coating
Part Three: Cathodic Protection
10. Cathodic Protection - Principles
11. Cathodic protection of submerged structures (Platforms, Ballast tanks, PLEMS, PLETS, Jumpers, TLPs etc.)
12. Cathodic protection of Submarine pipelines
13. Selection of CP system
14. Design of CP system
15. Potential criterion
16. Current densities
17. Required current calculations
18. Coating breakdown factors as factor of C P current determination
19. Attenuation of protective currents
20. Retrofitting of submerged structure CP systems.
Part Four: Coating
21. Coating as corrosion prevention
22. Coating types
23. Mill applied coatings and field applications.
24. Advantages and limitations of some common coating systems
Part Five: Standards and Recommended Practices
25. NACE Standard RP 017 and NACE SP 0169
26. NORSOK M501
27. ISO 12944 and 20340
28. DNV B 401