Cold Spray TechnologyBy
- Anatolii Papyrin, President of Cold Spray Technology, LLC, Albuquerque, U.S.A.
- Vladimir Kosarev, Institute of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics of Russian Academy of Science, Novosibirsk, Russia.
- Sergey Klinkov, Institut of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics of Russian Academy of Science, Novosibirsk, Russia.
- Anatolii Alkhimov, Institut of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics of Russian Academy of Science, Novosibirsk, Russia.
- Vasily Fomin, Institute of the Theoretical and Applied Mechanics and Siberian Division of Russian Academy of Science, Novosibirsk, Russia.
The topic of this book is Cold Spray technology. Cold Spray is a process of applying coatings by exposing a metallic or dielectric substrate to a high velocity (300 to 1200 m/s) jet of small (1 to 50 µm) particles accelerated by a supersonic jet of compressed gas. This process is based on the selection of the combination of particle temperature, velocity, and size that allows spraying at the lowest temperature possible. In the Cold Spray process, powder particles are accelerated by the supersonic gas jet at a temperature that is always lower than the melting point of the material, resulting in coating formation from particles in the solid state. As a consequence, the deleterious effects of high-temperature oxidation, evaporation, melting, crystallization, residual stresses, gas release, and other common problems for traditional thermal spray methods are minimized or eliminated.
This book is the first of its kind on the Cold Spray process. Cold Spray Technology covers a wide spectrum of various aspects of the Cold Spray technology, including gas-dynamics, physics of interaction of high-speed solid particles with a substrate as well as equipment, technologies, and applications. Cold Spray Technology includes the results of more than 20 years of original studies (1984-2005) conducted at the Institute of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics of the Siberian Division of the Russian Academy of Science, as well as the results of studies conducted at most of the research centres around the world.
The authors' goal is threefold. The first goal is to explain basic principles and advantages of the Cold Spray process. The second goal is, to give practical information on technologies and equipment. The third goal is to present the current state of research and development in this field over the world.
The book provides coverage and data that will be of interest for users of Cold Spray technology as well as for other coating experts. At the present time the Cold Spray method is recognized by world leading scientists and specialists. A wide spectrum of research is being conducted at many research centres and companies in many countries.
The book is a research monograph, and it is suitable for specialists working in the field of Material Science, in particular, applying coatings for various applications. The book provides coverage and data that will be of interest for users of Cold Spray and Thermal Spray technologies as well as for other coating experts. The book can be useful for the broad reading public, in particular, for engineers, scientists, technicians, and postgraduate students who are interested in studies of advanced technologies, gas dynamics of supersonic two-phase flows and physics of high speed collision of the particles with the target.
Hardbound, 336 Pages
Published: October 2006
- PrefaceChapter I - Discovery of the cold spray phenomenon and its basic features1.1 Supersonic two-phase flow around bodies and discovery of the Cold Spray phenomenon1.2 Spraying with a jet incoming onto a targetChapter II - High-velocity interaction of particles with the substrate. Experiment and modeling2.1 Deformation of microparticles in a high-velocity impact2.2 Spraying of the Initial later and its influence on the coating formation process2.3 Modeling of interaction of single particles with the substrate within the framework of continuous media2.4 Formation of a layer of a high-velocity flow in the vicinity of the micro particle-solid substrate contact plane2.5 Particle-surface interaction under an impact2.6 Numerical simulation of self-organization processes during the particle-surface impact by the molecular dynamics methodChapter III Gas-dynamic of Cold Spray3.1 Flow in a supersonic nozzle with a large aspect ratio and a rectangular cross section3.2 Investigation of supersonic air jets exhausting from a nozzle3.3 Impact of supersonic jet on a substrate3.4 Heat transfer between a supersonic plane jet and a substrate under conditions of Cold Spray3.5 Optimization of geometric parameters of the nozzle for obtaining the maximum impact velocityChapter IV Cold Spray equipment and technologies4.1 Equipment and technologies developed by ITAM SB RAS (Russia)4.2 Equipment and technologies developed by Ktech Corporation (USA)4.3 Cold Gas System kinetic 3000 developed by Cold Gas Technology (Germany)4.4 Low Pressure Portable Cold Spray SystemChapter V. Current State of Cold Spray process5.1 Gas-Dynamics of Cold Spray5.2 Interaction of high-speed particles with the substrate. Bonding mechanism5.3 Cold Spray Technologies and Applications