Canine Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy
- Darryl Millis, MS, DVM Diplomate ACVS ACVSMR CCRP, Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- David Levine, PhD, PT, UC Foundation Associate Professor of Physical Therapy, The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Chattanooga, TN, Professor and Walter M. Cline Chair of Excellence in Physical Therapy, Department of Physical Therapy
- Published: October 2013
- Imprint: SAUNDERS
- ISBN: 978-1-4377-0309-2
Table of Contents
Section I: Introduction to Physical Rehabilitation
- History of Canine Physical Rehabilitation
- Regulatory and Practice Issues for the Veterinary and Physical Therapy Professions
- Conceptual Overview of Physical Therapy, Veterinary Medicine, and Canine Rehabilitation Section II: Basic Science of Veterinary Rehabilitation
- Canine Behavior
- Canine Anatomy
- Tissue Healing: Tendons, Ligaments, Bone, Muscles, and Cartilage
- Responses of Musculoskeletal Tissues to Disuse and Remobilization
- Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Physiology of the Canine Athlete - NEW! Section III: Patient Assessment and Management
- Orthopedic and Neurologic Examination
- Canine Locomotion Analysis
- The Physical Rehabilitation Evaluation - NEW!
- Assessing and Measuring Outcomes
- Rehabilitating the Painful Patient: Pain Management in Physical Rehabilitation - NEW!
- The Role of Chondroprotectants, Nutraceuticals, and Nutrition in Rehabilitation Nursing Care of the Rehabilitation Patient - NEW!
- Nursing Care of the Rehabilitation Patient - NEW!
- Devices for Ambulation Assistance in Companion Animals - NEW! Section IV: Therapeutic Modalities
- Superficial Thermal Modalities
- Therapeutic Ultrasound
- Electrical Stimulation - NEW!
- Therapeutic Lasers in Canine Rehabilitation - NEW!
- Applications of Extracorporeal Shock Wave in Small Animal Practice - NEW!
- Other Modalities in Veterinary Rehabilitation - NEW! Section V: Therapeutic Exercise and Manual Therapy
- Biomechanics of Physical Rehabilitation and Kinematics of Exercise - NEW!
- Range-of-Motion and Stretching Exercises
- Joint Mobilization - NEW!
- Exercises for Proprioception, Balance, and Joint Position Awareness
- Therapeutic Exercises: Early Limb Use Exercises
- Therapeutic Exercises: Joint Motion, Strengthening, Endurance and Speed Exercises
- Aquatic Therapy Section VI: Physical Therapy for Specific Diagnoses
- Common Orthopedic Conditions and Their Physical Rehabilitation
- Common Conditions and Physical Rehabilitation of the Athletic Patient - NEW!
- Neurologic Conditions and Physical Rehabilitation of the Neurologic Patient
- Physical Rehabilitation for Geriatric and Arthritic Patients
- Physical Therapy for Wound Care - NEW!
- Physical Rehabilitation for the Critically Injured Veterinary Patient
- Development of a Rehabilitation Facility for Small Animals and Business Considerations
Appendix 1: Protocol Development and Protocols
Appendix 2: Manufacturers of Supplies and Equipment - NEW!