Biomass, Part A: Cellulose and Hemicellulose, 160
Volume 160: Biomass Part A
- Willis Wood, Michigan State University, East Lansing, U.S.A.
- Scott Kellogg, Salk Institute Biotechnology/Industrial Associates, Inc., San Diego, California, U.S.A.
- John Abelson, California Institute of Technology, Division of Biology, Pasadena, U.S.A.
- Melvin Simon, California Institute of Technology, Division of Biology, Pasadena, U.S.A.
Biochemists; enzymologists; analytical, physical, and organic chemists; chemical engineers (fuels, energy, food processing); industrial and applied chemists; microbiologists.
Methods in Enzymology
Hardbound, 774 pages
Published: June 1988
Imprint: Academic Press
"The Methods in Enzymology series represents the gold-standard."
Praise for the Series, --NEUROSCIENCE
Praise for the Series, --ANALYTICAL BIOCHEMISTRY
"It is a true 'methods' series, including almost every detail from basic theory to sources of equipment and reagents, with timely documentation provided on each page."
Praise for the Series, --BIO/TECHNOLOGY
"The series has been following the growing, changing and creation of new areas of science. It should be on the shelves of all libraries in the world as a whole collection."
Praise for the Series, --CHEMISTRY IN INDUSTRY
"The appearance of another volume in that excellent series, Methods in Enzymology, is always a cause for appreciation for those who wish to successfully carry out a particular technique or prepare an enzyme or metabolic intermediate without the tiresome prospect of searching through unfamiliar literature and perhaps selecting an unproven method which is not easily reproduced."
Praise for the Series, --AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MICROBIOLOGY NEWS
"If we had some way to find the work most often consulted in the laboratory, it could well be the multi-volume series Methods in Enzymology...a great work."
Praise for the Series, --ENZYMOLOGIA
"A series that has established itself as a definitive reference for biochemists."
Praise for the Series, --JOURNAL OF CHROMATOGRAPHY
- Cellulose.Preparation of Cellulosic Substrates: Increasing the Availability of Cellulose in Biomass Materials.Cadoxen Solvolysis of Cellulose.Preparation of Crystalline, Amorphous, and Dyed Cellulase Substrates.Preparation of Cellodextrins.Preparation of Cellodextrins: Another Perspective.Fluorogenic and Chromogenic Glycosides as Substrates and Ligands of Carbohydrases.Use of Complex Formation between Congo Red and Polysaccharides in Detection and Assay of Polysaccharide Hydrolases.Soluble, Dye-Labeled Polysaccharides for the Assay of Endohydrolases.Assays for Cellulolytic Enzymes: Methods for Measuring Cellulase Activities.Cellulase Assay Based on Cellobiose Dehydrogenase.Nephelometric and Turbidometric Assay for Cellulase.Selective Assay for Exo-1,4-/-Glucosidases. Viscosimetric Determination of Carboxymethylcellulase Activity.Staining Techniques for the Detection of the Individual Components of Cellulolytic Enzyme Systems.Chromatographic Methods for Carbohydrates: Liquid Chromatography of Carbohydrate Monomers and Oligomers.Quantitative Thin-Layer Chromatography of Sugars, Sugar Acids, and Polyalcohols.High-Performance Thin-Layer Chromatography of Starch, Cellulose, Xylan, and Chitin Hydrolyzates. Miscellaneous Methods for Cellulolytic Enzymes: Screening of Prokaryotes for Cellulose- and Hemicellulose-Degrading Enzymes.Chromatographic Separation of Cellulolytic Enzymes.Morphological Aspects of Wood Degradation.Purification of Cellulose-Degrading Enzymes: Cellulases of Pseudomonas fluorescens var. cellulosa.Cellulases of Cellulomonas uda.Cellulase of Ruminococcus albus.Cellulase of Trichoderma koningii.Cellulases of Trichoderma reesei.Cellulases of a Mutant Strain of Trichoderma viride QM 9414.Cellulases from Eupenicillium javanicum.Gentaro Okada, Cellulase of Aspergillus niger.Cellulase and Hemicellulase from Aspergillus fumigatus Fresenius.Cellulases of Aspergillus aculeatus. Cellulases from Thermoascus aurantiacus.1,4-/-*xD-Glucan Cellobiohydrolase from Sclerotium rolfsii.Cellulases of Thermomonospora fusca.Cellulases of Humicola insolens and Humicola grisea.Cellulase-Hemicellulase Complex of Phoma hibernica.Cellulases from Sporocytophaga myxococcoides.Cellulases in Phaseolus vulgaris. Endoglucanase from Clostridium thermocellum.Crystalline Endoglucanase D of Clostridium thermocellum Overproduced in Escherichia coli.Isolation of 1,4-/-*xD-Glucan 4-Glucanohydrolases of Talaromyces emersonii.Endo-1,4-/-Glucanases of Sporotrichum pulverulentum.Carboxymethylcellulase from Sclerotium rolfsii./-Glucanases from Pisum sativum.Cellobiosidase from Ruminococcus albus.Cellobiohydrolases of Penicillium pinophilum.Exocellulase of Irpex lacteus (Polyporus tulupiferae)./-Glucosidase from Ruminococcus albus.1,4-/-Glucosidases of Sporotrichum pulverulentum./-*xD-Glucosidases from Sclerotium rolfsii.Purification and Assay of /-Glucosidase from Schizophyllum commune.Purification of /-*xD-Glucoside Glucohydrolases of Talaromyces emersonii.Cellobiose Dehydrogenase from Sporotrichum thermophile.Cellobiose Dehydrogenase from Sclerotium rolfsii.Cellobiose Dehydrogenase Produced by Monilia.Cellobiose Dehydrogenase (Quinone).Cellobiose Phosphorylase from Cellvibrio gilvus.Cellulosomes from Clostridium thermocellum.Macrocellulase Complexes and Yellow Affinity Substance from Clostridium thermocellum.Acid Proteases from Sporotrichum pulverulentum.Hemicellulose.Preparation of Substrates for Hemicellulases: Purification of (1-3),(1-4)-/-Glucan from Barley Flour.Synthesis of /-*xD-Mannopyranosides for the Assay of /-*xD-Mannosidase and Exo-/-*xD-mannanase.Enzymatic Preparation of /-1,4-Mannooligosaccharides and /-1,4-Glucomannooligosaccharides.Carob and Guar Galactomannans.Xylobiose and Xylooligomers.Remazol Brilliant Blue-Xylan: A Soluble Chromogenic Substrate for Xylanases.Preparation of *xL-Arabinan and 1,5-*xL-Arabinan.Analysis of /-Glucan and Enzyme Assays: Measurement of (1-3),(1-4)-/-*xD-Glucan.Measurement of Acetylxylan Esterase in Streptomyces.4-O-Methyl-*ga-*xD-Glucuronidase Component of Xylanolytic Complexes.Lichenase from Bacillus subtilis.Purification of /-*xD-Glucosidase from Aspergillus niger.Exo-1,4-/-Mannanase from Aeromonas hydrophila.Exo-/-*xD-mannanase from Cyamopsis tetragonolobus GuarSeed./-*xD-Mannanase. /-Mannanase of Streptomyces./-*xD-Mannosidase from Helix pomatia.*ga-Mannanase from Rhodococcus erythropolis.*ga-*xD-Galactosidase from Lucerne and GuarSeed.Xylanase of Bacillus pumilus. Xylanase of Cryptococcus albidus.Xylanases of Streptomyces.Xylanases of Alkalophilic Thermophilic Bacillus.Xylanase A of Schizophyllum commune.Xylanases and /-Xylosidase of Trichoderma lignorum.Xylanase of Malbranchea pulchella var. sulfurea.Xylanase of Talaromyces byssochlamydoides.1,4-/-*xD-Xylan Xylohydrolase of Sclerotium rolfsii./-Xylosidases of Several Fungi./-Xylosidase//-Glucosidase of Chaetomium trilaterale.Acetylxylan Esterase of Schizophyllum commune.*ga-*xL-Arabinofuranosidase from Aspergillus niger.*ga-*xL-Arabinofuranosidase from Scopolia japonica.Arabinogalactanase of Bacillus subtilis var. amylosacchariticus.Author Index.Subject Index.