Biogranulation Technologies for Wastewater Treatment
- Joo-Hwa Tay, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Stephen Tiong-Lee Tay, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Yu Liu, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Kuan Yeow Show, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Volodymyr Ivanov, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Microbial granules have practical importance in anaerobic and aerobic biological wastewater treatment. Advantages of granules are retention of biomass in reactor, diversity of microorganisms, complex structure, and resistance to unfavorable conditions. Microbial granules can be used to treat municipal and industrial wastewater for removal of organic matter, xenobiotics, nutrients, and heavy metals. The book covers almost all aspects of formation and use of microbial granules in wastewater treatment. The data on aerobic microbial granulation are related mostly to laboratory systems due to few pilot systems in the world using aerobic microbial granules. However, by the analogy with anaerobic granulation, which is now used worldwide, it is possible to predict wide applications of aerobic granulation. This book will help researchers and engineers develop these new biotechnologies of wastewater treatment based on aerobic granulation.
Researchers, engineers, practitioners in wastewater treatment, wastewater treatment companies and governmental agencies, and graduate students environmental engineering.
Hardbound, 308 Pages
Published: June 2006
- 1. MECHANISMS AND MODELS FOR ANAEROBIC GRANULATION-Kuan Yeow Show 2. FACTORS AFFECTING ANAEROBIC GRANULATION -Kuan Yeow Show 3. APPLICATIONS IN ANAEROBIC GRANULATION -Kuan Yeow Show 4. MECHANISMS OF AEROBIC GRANULATION -Yu Liu 5. FACTORS AFFECTING AEROBIC GRANULATION -Yu Liu6. STRUCTURE OF AEROBIC GRANULES-Volodymyr Ivanov 7. MICROORGANISMS OF AEROBIC GRANULES -Volodymyr Ivanov and Stephan Tiong-Lee Tay8. NUTRIENT REMOVAL BY AEROBIC GRANULES -Yu Liu9. PHENOL REMOVAL BY AEROBIC GRANULES -Stephan Tiong-Lee Tay10. SEEDS FOR AEROBIC GRANULATION-Volodymyr Ivanov and Stephan Tiong-Lee Tay11. BIOSORPTION PROPERTIES OF AEROBIC GRANULES -Yu LiuCONCLUSIONS: CURRENT STATE AND DIRECTIONS OF RESEARCH