Avidin-Biotin Technology, 184
Volume 184: Avidin-Biotin Technology
- Meir Wilchek, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
- Edward Bayer, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
- John Abelson, California Institute of Technology, Division of Biology, Pasadena, U.S.A.
- Melvin Simon, California Institute of Technology, Division of Biology, Pasadena, U.S.A.
Biochemists, molecular biologists, immunologists, microbiologists, endocrinologists, biotechnologically oriented industries, analytical chemists, and clinical chemists.
Methods in Enzymology
Published: May 1990
Imprint: Academic Press
"This text would be useful for specialists in the areas of biophysics, biochemistry, immunology, molecular biology, etc., and others who are interested in the recent advances in avidin-biotin research."
Praise for the Volume, --BIOLOGICAL ABSTRACTS
"The Methods in Enzymology series represents the gold-standard."
Praise for the Series, --NEUROSCIENCE
"It is a true 'methods' series, including almost every detail from basic theory to sources of equipment and reagents, with timely documentation provided on each page."
"The series has been following the growing, changing and creation of new areas of science. It should be on the shelves of all libraries in the world as a whole collection."
--CHEMISTRY IN INDUSTRY
"The appearance of another volume in that excellent series, Methods in Enzymology, is always a cause for appreciation for those who wish to successfully carry out a particular technique or prepare an enzyme or metabolic intermediate without the tiresome prospect of searching through unfamiliar literature and perhaps selecting an unproven method which is not easily reproduced."
--AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MICROBIOLOGY NEWS
"If we had some way to find the work most often consulted in the laboratory, it could well be the multi-volume series Methods in Enzymology...a great work."
"A series that has established itself as a definitive reference for biochemists."
--JOURNAL OF CHROMATOGRAPHY
- Introduction:F.M. Richards, Reflections.M. Wilchek and E.A. Bayer, Introduction to Avidin-Biotin Technology.M. Wilchek and E.A. Bayer, Applications of Avidin-Biotin Technology: Literature Survey.Biotin-Binding Proteins:E.A. Bayer and M. Wilchek, Biotin-Binding Proteins: Overview and Prospects.N.M. Green, Avidin and Streptavidin.Y. Hiller, E.A. Bayer, and M. Wilchek, Nonglycosylated Avidin.G. Chandra and J.G. Gray, Cloning and Expression of Avidin in Escherichia coli.E.A. Bayer, H. Ben-Hur, and M. Wilchek, Isolation and Properties of Streptavidin.O. Livnah and J.L. Sussman, Crystal Forms of Avidin.K. Dakshinamurti and J. Chauhan, Non-Avidin Biotin-Binding Proteins.B. Wolf, J. Hymes, and G.S. Heard, Biotinidase.K. Dakshinamurti and E.S. Rector, Monoclonal Antibody to Biotin.General Methodology: Preparation of Biotin Derivatives:M. Wilchek and E.A. Bayer, Biotin-Containing Reagents.E.A. Bayer and M. Wilchek, Protein Biotinylation.A. Schwarz, C. Wandrey, E.A. Bayer, and M. Wilchek, Enzymatic C-Terminal Biotinylation of Proteins.D.J. O'Shannessy, Antibodies Biotinylated via Sugar Residues.B.F. Goldin and G.A. Orr, 2-Iminobiotin-Containing Reagent and Affinity Columns.Preparation of Avidin and Streptavidin Derivatives:E.A. Bayer and M. Wilchek, Avidin- and Streptavidin-Containing Probes.A.N. Glazer and L. Stryer, Phycobiliprotein-Avidin and Phycobiliprotein-Biotin Conjugates.R.A. Kohanski and M.D. Lane, Monovalent Avidin Affinity Columns.R.C. Duhamel and J.S. Whitehead, Prevention of Nonspecific Binding of Avidin.Assays for Avidin and Biotin:E.V. Groman, J.M. Rothenberg, E.A. Bayer, and M. Wilchek, Enzymatic and Radioactive Assays for Biotin, Avidin, and Streptavidin.E.A. Bayer, H. Ben-Hur, and M. Wilchek, Colorimetric Enzyme Assays for Avidin and Biotin.D.M. Mock, Sequential Solid-Phase Assay for Biotin Based on 125I-Labeled Avidin.D.M. Mock and P. Horowitz, Fluorometric Assay for Avidin-Biotin Interaction.Applications: Isolation and Purification:M. Wilchek and E.A. Bayer, Isolation of Biologically Active Compounds: A Universal Approach.F.M. Finn and K. Hofmann, Isolation and Characteriszation of Hormone Receptors.W. Newman, L.D. Beall, and Z.I. Randhawa, Biotinylation of Peptide Hormones: Structural Analysis and Application to Flow Cytometry.E. Hazum, Purification of Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone.G. Redeuilh, C. Secco, and E.-E. Baulieu, Biotinylestradiol for Purfication of Estrogen Receptor.E.A. Bayer and M. Wilchek, One-Step Immunoaffinity Purification of Transferrin.G.M.W. Cook and J.W. Buckie, Lectin-Mediated Isolation of Cell Surface Glyoproteins.J. Wormmeester, F. Stiekema, and K. De Groot, Immunoselective Cell Separation.P.J. Grabowski, Isolation and Analysis of Splicing Complexes.R. Fishel, P. Anziano, and A. Rich, Z-DNA Affinity Chromatography.Localization:M. Wilchek, E.A. Bayer, and E. Skutelsky, Affinity Cytochemistry.A.H. Dutton, M. Adams, and S.J. Singer, Double Fluorescence Immunolabeling Studies.A.J. Sytkowski, Detection of Cell Surface Components Using Fluorescent Microspheres.S.-M. Hsu, Immunohistochemistry.R.A. Warnke and L.M. Weiss, Immunocytochemical Detection of Human T- and B-Cell Antigens.D.S. Papermaster, B.G. Schneider, and I. Nir, Ultrastructural Localization of Retinal Photoreceptor Proteins.R.E. Morris and C.B. Saelinger, Visualization of Intracellular Trafficking of Proteins.R.M. Pino, Localization of Lectin Receptors.G.V. Childs, Localization of Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Receptors.H. Asou, Localization of Ganglioside GM with Biotinylated Choleragen.K. Sutoh, Visualization of Adenosinetriphosphatase Site of Myosin Using a Photoreactive Adenosine 5*b7- Diphosphate Analog.Protein Blotting:E.A. Bayer, H. Ben-Hur, and M. Wilchek, Analysis of Proteins and Glycoproteins on Blots.E.A. Bayer, H. Ben-Hur, and M. Wilchek, Direct Labeling of Blotted Glycoconjugates.W.L. Hurley and E. Finkelstein, Identification of Leukocyte Surface Proteins.W.J. LaRochelle and S.C. Froehner, Staining of Proteins on Nitrocellulose Replicas.C.L. Brakel, M.S. Brower, and K. Garry, Streptavidin-Enzyme Complexes in Detection of Antigens on Western Blots.M.M.L. Leong and G.R. Fox, Luminescent Detection on Immunodot and Western Blots.M.L. Billingsley, J.W. Polli, K.R. Pennypacker, and R.L. Kincaid, Identification of Calmodulin-Binding Proteins.Immunoassays:M. Wilchek and E.A. Bayer, Avidin-Biotin-Mediated Immunassays: Overview.T. Ternynck and S. Avrameas, Avidin-Biotin System in Enzyme Immunoassays.C.J. Strasburger and F. Kohen, Two-Site and Competitive Chemiluminescent Immunoassays.I. Takashima, N. Hashimoto, and H.-C. Chang, Biotinylated Protein A in Immunoassay.E.C. de Macario, R.J. Jovell, and A.J.L. Macario, Slide Immunoenzymatic Assay for Human Immunoglobilin.E.C. Wagener, L. Wickert, and J.E. Shively, Quantification of Carcinoembryonic Antigen in Serum and Analysis of Epitope Specificities of Monoclonal Antibodies.C. Wagener, U. Kr~aduger, and J.E. Shively, Selective Precipitation of Biotin-Labeled Antigens or Monoclonal Antibodies by Avidin for Determining Epitope Specificities and Affinities in Solution-Phase Assays.R.H. Yolken, Immunoassays for Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases.W.F. Vann, A. Sutton, and R. Schneerson, Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay of Antibody to Bacterial Polysaccharides.L.S. Nerurkar, Rapid Detection of Herpes Simplex Virus.K.R. Huskins, K.J. Reagan, J.A. Wehrly, and J.E. Neumann, Sensitive Immunoassay for Human Immunodeficiency Viral Core Proteins.Gene Probes:M. Wilchek and E.A. Bayer, Gene Probes. L. Klevan and G. Gebeyehu, Biotinylated Nucleotides for Labeling and Detecting DNA.C. Levenson, R. Watson, and E.L. Sheldon, Biotinylated Psoralen Derivative for Labeling Nucleic Acid Hybridization Probes.T.M. Herman and B.J. Fenn, Chemically Cleavable Biotin-Labeled Nucleotide Analogs.J.L. McInnes, A.C. Forester, D.C. Skingle, and R.H. Symons, Preparation and Uses of Photobiotin.R.P. Viscidi, Modification of Cytosine Residues on DNA.M. Wilchek, J.M. Rothenberg, A. Reisfeld, and E.A. Bayer, Direct Incorporation of Biotin into DNA.S. Beck, Colorimetric-Detected DNA Sequencing.Composite and Special Applications:M. Wilchek and E.A. Bayer, Composite Applications.M. Berger, Third Component of Human Complement: C3.J.-P. Euraehenbuhl and C. Bonnard, Purification and Characterization of Membrane Proteins.M. K. Conrad and M.M.S. Lo, Facilitated Cell Fusion for Hybridoma Production.M.-C. Shao, L.-M. Chen, and F. Wold, Complex Neoglycoproteins.K.E. Meier and A.E. Ruoho, Probing /-Adrenergic Receptors.K.A. Jacobson, Probing Adenosine Receptors Using Biotinylated Purine Derivatives.Author Index.Subject Index.