- Marshall Long, Marshall Long Acoustics
Architectural Acoustics presents a complete technical overview of the field, from basic concepts to specific design advice. Beginning with a brief history of the field, it reviews the fundamentals of acoustics, human perception and reaction to sound, acoustic noise measurements and noise metrics, and environmental noise. In-depth treatment is given to the theoretical principles and practical applications of wave acoustics, sound transmission, vibration and vibration isolation, and noise transmission in floor systems and mechanical systems.
Chapters on specific design problems demonstrate how to apply the theory, including treatment of multifamily dwellings, office buildings, rooms for speech, sound reinforcement systems, rooms for music, multipurpose rooms, auditoriums, sanctuaries, studios and listening rooms. Detailed figures throughout illustrate the practical applications of acoustic principles, showing how to implement design ideas in actual structures.
This compendium of theoretical and practical design information brings all the relevant concepts, equations, techniques and specific design problems together in one place, covering both fundamentals and more advanced material in thorough detail. Practicing engineers will find it an invaluable reference for their daily work, while advanced students will appreciate its sound treatment of the basic building blocks of architectural design.
Primary audience: Professional engineers, consultants and researchers in architectural acoustics, acoustical engineering and related mechanical and architectural fields.
Hardbound, 928 Pages
Published: October 2013
Imprint: Academic Press
" a first-rate reference for consultants who practice architectural acoustics or for architects and engineers who are looking for a complete compilation on acoustical techniques."-International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration
1. Historical Introduction
2. Fundamentals of Acoustics
3. Human Perception and Reaction to Sound
4. Acoustic Measurements and Noise Metrics
5. Environmental Noise
6. Wave Acoustics
7. Sound and Solid Surfaces
8. Sound in Enclosed Spaces
9. Sound Transmission Loss
10. Sound Transmission in Buildings
11. Vibration and Vibration Isolation
12. Noise Transmission in Floor Systems
13. Noise Generation in Mechanical Systems
14. Sound Transmission in Ducts
15. Design Construction and Residential Buildings
16. Design of Rooms for Unamplified Speech
17. Sound System Design
18. Design of Auditoria and Sanctuaries
19. Design of Studios and Listening Rooms
20. Concert Hall Design
21. Acoustic Modeling, Ray Tracing, and Auralization