The New FrontierBy
- John Swarbrooke, Principal Lecturer in Tourism Management, Centre for Tourism, Sheffield Hallam University, UK
- Colin Beard, Senior Lecturer, Outdoor Management Education, Sheffield Hallam University
- Suzanne Leckie, Senior Lecturer, Countryside Recreation Management, Sheffield Hallam University
- Gill Pomfret, Senior Lecturer, Tourism Management, Centre for Tourism, Sheffield Hallam University
Looking at the past, present and future of adventure tourism, Adventure Tourism: the new frontier examines the product, the adventure tourist profile, and issues such as supply, geography and sustainability. International case studies are used to illustrate these issues, including: Gorilla watching holidays,Trekking on Mount Everest, Diving holidays, and Outward Bound packages.Analysis of the development and nature of adventure tourism accompanies these studies, ensuring that the title is useful both for undergraduate and postgraduate students of tourism and for professionals involved in managing adventure tourism enterprises.There is also a companion website with additional cases, which can be found at www.bh/com/companions/0750651865.
Senior undergraduate students taking electives in Adventure Tourism as part of Tourism and Leisure degrees.Postgraduate programmes in ecotourism and adventure tourism courses.Professionals involved in managing adventure tourism enterprises.
Published: April 2003
Imprint: Butterworth Heinemann
"'Adventure Tourism: The new frontier' is an essential introduction to the adventure tourism sector for both tertiary students of tourism and professionals working in the tourism industry, as it offers a unique analysis of this fast expanding niche sector....The book will prove accessible to its non-academic audience, while providng a useful reference and first port of call for those researching in this sector and a textbook for tourism academics teaching undergraduate or postgraduate courses in this area." -Tim Bentley, Department of International Business Massey, Aukland, New Zealand "...provides a much needed analysis of this expanding sector of the international tourism market, and is a useful compliation of current knowledge and thought in this area." - Tourism Management
- Introduction; The historical development of adventure tourism; The sources of adventure; The milieu of adventure tourism; Outdoor adventure and management training; Artificial environments for adventure tourism; Mental adventure tourism; The adventure tourist; The supply side of adventure tourism; The geography of adventure tourism; The impacts of adventure tourism; Topical issues and the future of adventure tourism; Case studies.