Adhesion of Microbial Pathogens, 253
- Ron Doyle, Schools of Dentistry and Medicine, University of Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.A.
- Itzhak Ofek, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat-Aviv, Israel
- John Abelson, California Institute of Technology, Division of Biology, Pasadena, U.S.A.
- Melvin Simon, California Institute of Technology, Division of Biology, Pasadena, U.S.A.
Microbiologists, biochemists, molecular biologists, pathologists, cell biologists, and epidemiologists.
Methods in Enzymology
Published: July 1995
Imprint: Academic Press
"The Methods in Enzymology series represents the gold-standard."
Praise for the Series, --NEUROSCIENCE
"It is a true 'methods' series, including almost every detail from basic theory to sources of equipment and reagents, with timely documentation provided on each page."
"The series has been following the growing, changing and creation of new areas of science. It should be on the shelves of all libraries in the world as a whole collection."
--CHEMISTRY IN INDUSTRY
"The appearance of another volume in that excellent series, Methods in Enzymology, is always a cause for appreciation for those who wish to successfully carry out a particular technique or prepare an enzyme or metabolic intermediate without the tiresome prospect of searching through unfamiliar literature and perhaps selecting an unproven method which is not easily reproduced."
--AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MICROBIOLOGY NEWS
"If we had some way to find the work most often consulted in the laboratory, it could well be the multi-volume series Methods in Enzymology...a great work."
"A series that has established itself as a definitive reference for biochemists."
--JOURNAL OF CHROMATOGRAPHY
- General Methods for Adhesion to Animal Cells:E. Rozdzinski and E. Tuomanen, Adhesion of Microbial Pathogens to Leukocyte Integrins: Methods to Study Ligand Mimicry.R.F. Rest, Association of Bacteria with Human Phagocytes.R. Malaviya and S.N. Abraham, Interaction of Bacteria with Mast Cells.J. Goldhar, Erythrocytes as Target Cells for Testing Bacterial Adhesins.K.A. Krogfelt, Adhesin-Dependent Isolation and Characterization of Bacteria from Their Natural Environment.L.D. Hazlett, Analysis of Ocular Microbial Adhesion. Identification of Adhesins and Receptors:F.J. Cassels and H. van Halbeek, Isolation and Structural Characterization of Adhesin Polysaccharide Receptors.N. Sharon and I. Ofek, Identification of Receptors for Bacterial Lectins by Blotting Techniques.W.A. Petri, Jr., and R.L. Schnaar, Purification and Characterization of Galactose- and N-Acetylgalactosamine-Specific Adhesin Lectin of Entamoeba histolytica. G. Magnusson, S.J. Hultgren, and J. Kihlberg, Specificity Mapping of Bacterial Lectins by Inhibition of Hemagglutination Using Deoxy and Deoxyfluoro Analogs of Receptor-Active Saccharides.K.K. Lee, W.Y. Wong, H.B. Sheth, R.S.Hodges, W. Paranchych, and R.T. Irvin, Use of Synthetic Peptides in Characterization of Microbial Adhesins.A. Prakobphol, H. Leffler, and S.J. Fisher, Identifying Bacterial Receptor Proteins and Quantifying Strength of Interactions They Mediate.General Methods for Visualization and Data Presentation of Adhesion:S. Knutton, Electron Microscopical Methods in Adhesion.P.A. Manning, Use of Confocal Microscopy in Studying Bacterial Adhesion and Invasion.J.R. Johnson, Epidemiological Considerations in Studies of Microbial Adhesion.M.M. Cowan, Kinetic Analysis of Microbial Adhesion.A.G. Matthysse, Observation and Measurement of Bacterial Adhesion to Plants.H. Leffler, W. Agace, S. Hedges, R. Lindstedt, M. Svensson, and C. Svanborg, Strategies for Studying Bacterial Adhesion in VivoE.V. Sokurenko and D.L. Hasty, Assay for Adhesion of Host Cells to Immobilized Bacteria.Molecular Biology of Adhesins:V. Vetter and J. Hacker, Strategies for Employing Molecular Genetics to Study Tip Adhesins.D.M. Schifferli, Use of Tn phoA and T7 RNA Polymerase to Study Fimbrial Proteins.S.I. Hull and R.A. Hull, Molecular Cloning of Adhesion Genes.E. Hanski, G. Fogg, A. Tovi, N. Okada, I. Burstein, and M. Caparon, Molecular Analysis of Streptococcus pyogenes Adhesion.Methods for Study of Adhesion of Selected Bacteria:P.S. Cohen and D.C. Laux, Bacterial Adhesion to and Penetration of Intestinal Mucus in Vitro.E.A. Dean-Nystrom, Identification of Intestinal Receptors for Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli.M.S. Donnenberg and J.P. Nataro, Methods for Studying Adhesion of Diarrheagenic Escherichia coli.D.G. Evans and D.J. Evans, Jr., Adhesion Properties of Helicobacter pylori.H.L.T. Mobley, G.R. Chippendale, and J.W. Warren, In Vitro Adhesion of Bacteria to Exfoliated Uroepithelial Cells: Criteria for Quantitative Analysis.I. Kahane, Adhesion of Mycoplasmas.D.H. Meyer and P.M.Fives-Taylor, Adhesion of Oral Bacteria to Soft Tissue.P.E. Kolenbrander, Coaggregations among Oral Bacteria.J. London, Identifying and Isolating Fimbrial-Associated Adhesins of Oral Gram-Negative Bacteria.Adhesion of Eukaryotic Pathogens:J.F. Alderete, R. Arroyo, and M.W. Lehker, Analysis for Adhesins and Specific Cytoadhesion of Trichomonas vaginalis.K.C. Hazen and P.M. Glee, Adhesion of Fungi.K.C. Kain and J.I. Ravdin, Galactose-Specific Adhesion Mechanisms of Entamoeba histolytica: Model for Study of Enteric Pathogens.E. Segal and H. Sandovsky-Losica, Adhesion and Interaction of Candida albicans with Mammalian Tissues in Vitro and in Vivo.Methods for Study of Adhesion to Solid Surfaces:H.J. Busscher and H.C. van der Mei, Use of Flow Chamber Devices and Image Analysis Methods to Study Microbial Adhesion.G.D. Christensen, L. Baldassarri, and W.A. Simpson, Methods for Studying Microbial Colonization of Plastics.A. Ljungh and T. Wadstrim, Binding of Extracellular Matrix Proteins by Microbes.G. Reid, Adhesion of Urogenital Organisms to Polymers and Prosthetic Devices.E.V. Sokurenko, V.A. McMackin, and D.L. Hasty, Bacterial Adhesion Measured by Growth of Adherent Organisms.I. Ofek, Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent-Based Adhesion Assays.K.M. Schilling and R.J. Doyle, Bacterial Adhesion to Hydroxylapatite.R.J. Doyle and M. Rosenberg, Measurement of Microbial Adhesion to Hydrophobic Substrata.Author Index.Subject Index.