A New Ecology
- Sven Erik Jørgensen
- Brian Fath
- Simone Bastianoni
- Joao Marques
- Felix Muller
- S. Nors Nielsen
- Bernard Patten
- Enzo Tiezzi
- Robert Ulanowicz
A New Ecology presents an ecosystem theory based on the following ecosystem properties: physical openness, ontic openness, directionality, connectivity, a complex dynamic for growth and development, and a complex dynamic response to disturbances. Each of these properties is developed in detail to show that these basic and characteristic properties can be applied to explain a wide spectrum of ecological obsevations and convections. It is also shown that the properties have application for environmental management and for assessment of ecosystem health.
Researchers of ecology and biodiversity, as well as agencies tasked with environmental management and sustainability
Hardbound, 288 Pages
Published: May 2007
2. Ecosystems have openness (thermodynamic).
3. Ecosystems have ontic openness.
4. Ecosystems have directionality.
5. Ecosystems have connectivity.
6. Ecosystems have complex dynamics (growth).
7. Ecosystems have complex dynamics (disturbances).
8. Ecosystems have broad explanatory power in ecology.
9. Ecosystem principles have applications.
10. Conclusions and final remarks.