A New Ecology
- Sven Erik Jørgensen, Royal Danish School of Pharmacy, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Brian Fath, Towson University, MD, U.S.A.
- Simone Bastianoni, University of Siena, Italy
- Joao Marques, IMAR, University of Coimbra, Portugal
- Felix Muller, University of Kiel, Germany
- S. Nors Nielsen, Royal Danish School of Pharmacy, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Bernard Patten, University of Georgia, Athens, U.S.A.
- Enzo Tiezzi, University of Siena, Italy
- Robert Ulanowicz, Chesapeake Biological Laboratory, Solomons, Maryland, U.S.A.
A New Ecology presents an ecosystem theory based on the following ecosystem properties: physical openness, ontic openness, directionality, connectivity, a complex dynamic for growth and development, and a complex dynamic response to disturbances. Each of these properties is developed in detail to show that these basic and characteristic properties can be applied to explain a wide spectrum of ecological obsevations and convections. It is also shown that the properties have application for environmental management and for assessment of ecosystem health.
Researchers of ecology and biodiversity, as well as agencies tasked with environmental management and sustainability